I haven’t blogged in ages so this one is long overdue. So much has happened since the last time that I blogged. I started a new job as a Deputy Principal at a high school. I have been doing my best to juggle work, baby and my hubby (yip we do date nights way too often lol). It has been pretty crazy and I have been putting in much more hours than before. I have been doing loads of mummy and daughter dates with Alayna now that she is a bit older :). It does result in tantrums sometimes but she loves shopping. In fact the moment she jumps into the car she says “going shopping”and starts giggling.
As a working mum it does become a bit difficult to do “The Juggling Act” and juggle work, family and romance by giving all three acts equal attention because just like all professional jugglers know, if you are distracted by one item, the others might fall. when that happens you lose the game so it is important to create a balance in your life. Here is how I do it:
- When you are at work, focus on your work and when you are at home focus on your family.
- Make sure that you leave your work at work. This is difficult as a teacher as I do sometimes bring marking home but I do my best to finish it at school.
- Have as many dates with your spouse as possible (At least once a week). Even if it is a quick lunch date in between meetings.
- Spend time with your kids, we paint, draw, play with sand, build things with play dough and we have lots of dates at the arcade as we both love playing games :). We also shop, thankfully she loves shopping and usually drops loads of items into the trolley.
- Go out as a family and do things that you all enjoy.
Life’s a balancing act. You have multiple roles and goals, and you can do it all – just not all at once. Denise Morrison